At a Glance
What: An interactive online advocacy training program that teaches healthcare professionals how to advocate for obesity prevention policies that support healthy, active living for children in their communities.
Where: Online (self-paced course)
Cost: $250 (with Continuing Education credit) or $150 (no CE credit)
NICHQ's Obesity Prevention Advocacy Training seeks to reverse the childhood obesity epidemic across the nation by training and supporting healthcare professionals in becoming advocates for policy and environmental systems change within their communities.
As leaders in the community with specialized knowledge of and daily exposure to the childhood obesity epidemic, healthcare professionals have an opportunity to influence nutrition and physical activity policies by engaging in advocacy efforts.
This dynamic, interactive online program provides healthcare professionals with information about how they can become advocates for obesity prevention policy change, an opportunity to practice newly developed skills in a simulated community, access to a virtual Q&A system with videos from trained advocates, and guidance on how to create a personal Advocacy Plan to direct their advocacy work.
“I think this is a real game-changer for pediatric advocacy.”
- Pediatrician and Course Participant, North Carolina
At the conclusion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Define what it means to be engaged in community-based advocacy
- Develop an advocacy message
- Identify successful strategies for effectively delivering an advocacy message using various communication mediums
- Explain the role and process of public policy in advocacy
- List the best practices for connecting with other healthcare professional advocates and coalitions
- Apply what you have learned about childhood obesity advocacy in a simulated community
- Create a complete, personal Advocacy Plan to guide your childhood obesity advocacy work outside of a clinical setting and feel prepared to act on that plan
Ready to enroll? Visit NICHQ's online learning center and get started today!
NICHQ is pleased to offer continuing education credits to physicians (as CMEs) and certificates of participation to all other professionals who wish to receive continuing education credit. This page contains all necessary information for obtaining credit for this course.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1. How long does the course take to complete?
The course takes approximately three and a half hours to complete.
2. Do I need to complete the course in one sitting?
No, you do not need to complete the course in one sitting. Your progress will be saved if you exit and start again.
3. How long will I have access to the course?
Once you enroll in the course, you will have 90 days to complete it. After 90 days, your access will expire.
4. Do I need to be a healthcare professional to take the course?
The Obesity Prevention Advocacy Training is designed for healthcare professionals from a variety of backgrounds, including physicians, nurses/nurse practitioners, health educators, nutritionists, dietitians, midwives, and pharmacists. However, non-healthcare providers have also been trained using the curriculum and have found it helpful to learn how to augment their own advocacy efforts by partnering with healthcare providers in their communities. This includes teachers, legislators, community leaders, graduate students, child care providers, and physical education specialists.
5. Are group rates, student discounts or student scholarships available?
If you have a group of 20 or more people who are interested in taking the course, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We are unable to offer any other discounts or scholarships.
6. Are continuing education credits available for the course?
Yes, continuing education credits to physicians (as CMEs) and certificates of participation to all other professionals who wish to receive continuing education credit are available. Participants interested in receiving the credit should register at the $250 rate.
Still have questions? Contact email@example.com!